15 March 2011

A Chair to Cheer for

We recently brought this beautiful Morris chair home. 

 
I did a bit of Internet research on my new piece of furniture, and discovered that not only was it originally designed way back in the late 1800s, BUT some famous people have also sung about it. And, as we all know, a chair that makes it into a ditty is a chair to be cherished. In her cover of Irving Berlin’s ‘You'd Be Surprised’, Marilyn Monroe sings: ‘At a party/Or at a ball/I've got to admit/He's nothing at all/But in a Morris chair/You'd be surprised.’ Barbara Streisand’s version of ‘My Honey’s Lovin’ Arms’ goes: ‘A cozy Morris chair/What kind of chair is a Morris chair?’

So there you go. What I love most about it is not its cultural footing, though. I love:

1.                   that it is so very, very comfortable;
2.                  that its arms are wide enough to rest a cup of tea;
3.                  that I can read a book in style.

Furniture win.

No comments:

Post a Comment